Food for Thought

Left Lung inhales Sports. Right Lung inhales Politics. All That Makes Life!

Saturday, June 24, 2006


Why don't the All-Stars play for Team USA ?
The fact that most top players don’t turn up to play for Team USA at the major competitions on a global level somewhat pains me a lot and I fail to see a legitimate reason for the same.

I think citing stupid personal reasons and similar excuses like spend time with family, aggravation of a feigned injury and too many games etc. are totally unacceptable.

I mean come on you’re playing for your country carrying forward the hopes of millions – which infact is probably the biggest honor by itself and should come first above all.

Do you ever see cricketers not playing tests coz’ hey play county matches or do soccer stars don’t play the world cup coz’ of club-games? I men we are talking about guys who watch the armed guards display their colors and sing the star-spangled banner with their hands on their hearts before they play each game – I’m trying to make sense of the whole thing.

Some soft-minded individuals who are big time advocates of the current practice tell me that it is good for it’s not easy to have so many stars together on one team as it’ll just fuel ego clashes – let me just reply in one-word, “Bullshit!”

Come on, these are matured individuals most of them from a pretty modest background who have rose to their current star-status by virtue of their natural talent and ability – I bet these guys bleed red, white and blue and for all you know even display the flag on their porch. Is it so difficult for these men to bury personal ego when playing for their beloved nation?

After seeing FC Real Madrid, I’d say yes at the club level the above answers are kind of acceptable, but not at the highest level. Teams look to draft and keep players who are humble and unselfish, I’m so sure there are abundant tools and resources to groom these guys to play under one coach and wearing one jersey!

The World Baseball Classic is a classic example for the baseball gods were eliminated in the most humiliating fashion – the team was struggling to go even thus far and had to call up Roger Clemens to avoid elimination.

Come August, Japan will be basketball nation and I’m hoping to see the best/strongest team take the floor. Well, if this team gets beaten it is a different story – you’ve atleast given your 100% and be at mental peace. As some experts call for the best team I’d love to see Wade & Kobe; Shaq/Duncan; LeBron and Brandt take the floor to play for their nation and millions of fans who worship them.

As a journalist, I’ve frequently taken on big institutions, now I’m not afraid to question the American values and patriotism of certain individuals.

It’s clichéd – “God Save the Queen” and “God Bless America” – I’d say “God Save America and Bless it, too.”

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

 
Powered by WebRing.
Visit blogadda.com to discover Indian blogs