Food for Thought

Left Lung inhales Sports. Right Lung inhales Politics. All That Makes Life!

Sunday, August 20, 2006

Am I a Sports-aholic ???

Disclaimer: By this time, if you've not already realized and as I hear from people, I fear I'm turning into a Sports-aholic; I hope to get some valuable feedback and search for some answers.

I typically begin my day by watching Sports Center, listen to 'Mike and Mike in the Morning' on my way to work and get back home and try to catch glimpses on some shitty MLB game or other features.

These are few of the things I've doing consistently for sometime now:


  1. Being an Indian, be default, I obviously read every article on cricinfo
  2. Took the option to work from home so as to watch most minutes during the recently-concluded World Cup (again, anyone with no sports interest also watches the World Cup)
  3. Learnt the intricacies of Major League Baseball this season - how to read the stats, player histories, team traditions etc. to name a few
  4. Watched almost all rounds of the NFL draft on Day 1
  5. Watched the NBA draft for 4-5 hours straight on a weeknight
  6. Saw a couple of Team USA games in the women's Softball world cup
  7. Watched the March Madness' even after my team lost for the sake of my office pool
  8. In the pretext of getting ready for the NFL season followed the progress of every team through their training camps
  9. For the first-time, analyzed pre-season NCAA football rankings and their potentials for the year
  10. Thanks to a bunch of golf-crazy co-workers I've started following each of the PGA Championships, the techniques of Tiger and Phil's swings and the drivers they use

But, a couple of things that I ended up doing the past weekend has sorta re-inforced people to believe this way - for one, people were surprised as I was up till 1 a.m. to watch Team USA tip-off live in Japan and I also shocked a guy I know here who has been a crazy Steelers fan since the day he was born by watching every minute of their pre-season game and with my knowledge of the team and related happenings. I also sat for two hours and played in a manual draft, this season for I believe that is the real test of your football knowledge.

More of this interest developed into sort of a passion due to the knowledge and interest of people around me - friends and more so, coworkers - you had to keep yourself updated with things to discuss and talk to them during non-work hours!

Talking about some of the implications of this sports craziness' in general - after some self-retrospect, on one side I could argue that it is a good distraction, something that'll keep you occupied and also maybe busy, especially if you are "single" and living alone. When a friend recently asked me as to if I feel bored and lonely by living alone - I said I always have had something to read or watch ;).

From a long-term perspective, for one practically it'll not be possible to be hooked onto the TV/Internet as it is now. And definitely, I'm sure flaunting your Sports IQ could possibly earn you some brownie points when you're talking with most girls these days. But, in that perspective the key is to not-to over do things and give the girl an impression that you will probably watch the TV more than her ;). The right balance with a good-mix is what I'd hope for.

As we embark on a new season I must say as always -
My heart is with the Steelers and my Soul is with the Mountaineers'!
Before signing off - as an FYI - my friend asked me if I wanted to get Mobile-ESPN, I politely declined more so after seeing the TV ad where a girl breaks-up with her guy who was ever hooked onto his cell looking for fantasy updates.




4 Comments:

  • At 10:54 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    5 out of the seven posts are about sports. R u a sports-aholic? I wouldnt have second thoughts on it.

     
  • At 12:10 PM, Blogger Arun Nirmal said…

    NO doubt you are a sports-aholic and there is nothing wrong in it. I suggest you buy the mobile ESPN afterall you like what you are doing.

     
  • At 7:29 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    getting a girls attention by talking to her about sports?? Which part of America do you live in, or rather dream about Bansal??

     
  • At 8:38 PM, Blogger gany said…

    dude...u r definitely a sportsaholic...btw in this blog u must have mentioned abt your standard statement whenever you get drunk.." I will give my life for the Mountaineers winning"...ha ha..i dunno if you remember this statement..but you definitely make this statement whenever you get drunk especially if you are with fellow mountaineers...

     

Post a Comment

<< Home

 
Powered by WebRing.
Visit blogadda.com to discover Indian blogs